If you’ve been a reader for a while you know I received an awesome sewing machine for Christmas.
You may have also noticed I haven’t posted any projects. There is a reason for that. Up until last week I hadn’t made any. My machine is so nice and has so many flashy upgrades that I was afraid I’d break it! But after an extensive bedding search, and really only being happy with the $312 pre-tax, pre-shipping option, I decided I needed to break down and finally learn how to use my machine.
After googling and browsing pinterest I was convinced I could do it, but that I’d like a bit of guidance. Luckily the hubs asked his mom for advice when purchasing my machine, and she recommended the new version of her machine. So I asked her if she’d be willing to help me, and she happily agreed. I ordered fabric through Amazon, not really thinking about the fact that my prime membership 2-day shipping wouldn’t apply to orders fulfilled by outside sources (darn!), and emailed Gayle the patterns I wanted to combine.
Once my fabric finally arrived we got started.
Thanks to a Jo-Anne’s 40% off coupon, I purchased the Nu-Foam baby bumper inserts, which are a breathable, washable, non-toxic foam alternative. They had a very easy pattern included, which I used. The only difference is I chose not to stitch the ties in at their half way point, which would have resulted in A LOT of bows. Instead we sewed them in at one end and tied two bumpers to the crib with each others ties, rather than each bumper being tied on individually, if that makes sense.
Turns out the yellow/white chevron I bought was a large weave, like linen, instead of a tight weave like the two grey/white fabrics #problemswithonlineshoppingaddiction. So after measuring, cutting, and ironing 24 2″x20″ pieces of fabric we determined the ties would stick straight out instead of laying nicely, and decided to abandon ship and switch to a softer/tighter weave. The in-laws live far enough from town that it wasn’t a quick trip to purchase new fabric. So we tried a closer fabric shop at Diamond Lake, owned by Gayle’s friend, and luckily she had a great alternative!
Round two of measuring, cutting, and ironing 24 2″x20″ pieces of fabric! This was by far the longest process of the entire project. Each swatch needed to be folded in 1/4 of an inch on both sides and ironed down. Then folded in half and ironed again. The ends of one side needed to tucked in, and then stitched around the perimeter. The other side was sewn into the bumper, so it didn’t need to be finished. I managed all the setting up, and Gayle did all of the sewing.
Then we moved on to the bumpers. We ironed, measured, and cut out 12 pieces of fabric, and called it a day. The two patterns I chose needed to be cut very presicely, otherwise the lines wouldn’t line up correctly and we’d have to start all over. It was a LONG process!
The next morning Gayle couldn’t sleep and got up at 4:30 and pinned all the bumpers and ties. When I arrived I sewed them all, she ironed the inside seams so they laid flat when turned inside out, and we stuffed the bumper inserts inside. The bottoms needed to be hand sewn, which Gayle tackled all but one. I am a reallllllly slow hand stitcher!
Then it was on to the crib skirt. I loved the idea of not having a center piece of fabric, and instead just sewing the sides and front. That way I’ll be able to easily adjust the length when we change the mattress height. So I decided on this super easy tutorial (and her crib dimensions are the same as mine, score!). But I decided I wanted a “window” of the second grey fabric, like this one. And I LOVED the idea of attaching the crib skirt with velcro. Brilliant!
We, again, ironed, measured, and cut the chevron fabric. Then we cut a 24″x24″ square of the link fabric for the center window. It was way more than we needed, but better to be safe than sorry. The window was sewn on first, and then we cut off the extra fabric. We decided where we wanted the top of the skirt to be, ironed and pinned it, and then sewed across the top. At this point I brought the skirt home and attached it to the crib so I could measure exactly where the hem would be, as well as where we needed to fold over and sew the ends.
Two days later I drove out to the in-laws again and we folded, ironed, pinned, and sewed the sides and bottom of the front panel. Then we ironed, measured, cut, folded, ironed, pinned, and sewed the sides. Phew!
Before starting this project I thought, oh, these directions are so easy, it is basically just sewing 4 sides of fabric under. And while that is the case, I had no idea how much time it would take! All in all I think we spent at least 15 hours on this project, spread over 3 days. Part of the issue was needing to run out for more fabric, and part of the issue was lining up the patterns so they didn’t wind up wonky. I spent $60 on fabric, but used only about $30-$40 of it (I overbought so I could make mistakes and not stress). And since I am on summer break and didn’t have to attempt this during the school year, I could take my time, not stress out, and do it right. Basically, it was a labor of love 🙂
While it isn’t the bedding I originally fell in love with, I have to say, I love this even more! I am SO happy with how it turned out. And I found the perfect yellow (after ordering 3 options) to match the ties.
Wow, that was a MUCH longer post than I thought it would be, haha. Woops!