I was a barista for six years, therefore I have a very real addiction to coffee. I have no desire to let this sweet delicious brown liquid leave my life anytime soon.
(After re-reading this post I realized this is the only picture, and it is rather boring. So I am dispersing very random pictures throughout the post to spice things up a bit)
In honor of my one-month blogiversary I decided to evaluate my blog…you know, formatively asses it. I asked myself the following question:
Q. Why do you follow certain blogs and not others.
- I feel like I know the person writing it, and I would like to think we would be friends in real life.
- They have interesting thoughts/ideas and share them in a non-confrontational, non-preachy and inviting manner.
- They ask their readers questions, and participate in the discussion that follows.
- They challenge me, albeit without knowing it, to practice what I preach because it (appears) that they do.
- (If a food blog) They are creative in what they eat.
And then I asked myself another question:
Q. What is the first thing you do when you visit a new blog?
A. I look at the “about” page.
Q. What makes you not want to come back?
- If I can’t determine what the blog’s focus is, (posts are really random).
- Very poor quality pictures.
- Too much writing/not enough pictures.
- Bad background/text color combo (like white text on blue page or blue text on black page, I can’t read it).
- Poor grammer, word choice, style, voice, etc.
Random picture 1: Rilo watches T.V. like this…
So do I do these things?
First round of Q’s:
- Well, I present myself and my random ramblings like I do in real life, so yes, what you read is what you get. But I can’t determine if you feel like you know me. That is up to you. But feel free to ask me questions 🙂
- I don’t think I’m preachy, and I avoid confrontation. But I don’t know that I’ve brought anything super thought provoking to the blog. Unless you are really interested in how to make the perfect hummus, in which case, yes I am wondering that too.
- I ask ya’ll questions sometimes, please answer! Or ask some of your own 🙂
- I’m trying to practice what I preach. But to be honest, I am a glass half-empty kinda gal. Or rather a whose going to fill my glass?! kinda gal. I’m trying to be more positive, but gosh darn it can be hard.
- I can be creative with what I eat, but generally only on the weekends. I’m a working girl with little time during the Monday-Friday grind.
Random picture 2: I love themed book club nights…
I don’t have an about page…so I’m working on that right now.
- My thoughts are random, but my posts generally follow the pattern of random thoughts mixed with what I ate for the day.
- My photos are ok. Not great quality, but I’m working on it. Focus would be great, but I don’t have a steady hand. Or peripheral vision for that matter, so I can’t always tell if my photos are in focus or not.
- Aside from this post I try to keep my words to photo ratio in a decent ball park. What do you think, am I too wordy? A photo hog?
- Dark grey text on a white background is easy to read (at least to me, and my eyes suck, so I hope you can read it well too).
- In high school I was the poster child for good parenting. I didn’t drink, smoke, do drugs or party. My dad is a newspaper editor so instead I rebelled by never wanting to write properly. I found learning the parts of speech to be rather boring and I still cannot spell. I regret my blasé attitude back in the day, because it surely isn’t doing me any good now.
Random picture 3: Love Ugly Sweater parties? So do I…
So there is my self-assessment. But I am your typical “A” student, and I love feedback. What do you think? How can I improve? What would you like to see or read about? There are a few subjects I will shy away from due to my profession, but I’ll do my best to keep it interesting nonetheless.
And final not-too-random picture: Today I get to spend the day with almost all of these lovely ladies.
And while I am very happy to see them all I am also sad to say we will be sending one of them off on a new journey in Seattle. And she will be missed dearly.